7.27.2016



Natalie Stallings is a friend from art school and she reached out to me to write a little about my work for her website.

As she has developed her own art and studied and traveled, she took an interest in the topic of women in art. She asked a few of her female peers to discuss the subject; what it means to be a woman making art in todays world, as well as how womanhood influences our work.

[click to read my two cents]



"My work is very feminine; indeed, the main subject of my illustrations are women and their things. I try to portray all that she might be: soft and airy, driven yet delicate, strong and focused, quiet but confidant. A woman is so many things and I love exploring all of them through fashion and ink. 
It's not surprising, I suppose, that a woman would be interested in fashion, but what is surprising is the fact that most, if not all, of the highly referenced artists in this field are generally not female: JC Leyendecker, Rene Gruau, Carl Erikson, Andy Warhol. While the field is inundated today by aspiring illustrators of both genders, and even though there are many financially successful females in fashion illustration, the names that have been connected with the return of illustration to the fashion world are prominent and established male artists. I admire them greatly for their years of work and I hope to someday contribute in a lasting way and look to other hard-working women to do so as well."
 This is to be a continuous series on her site and I really look forward to reading what others have to say.
Thanks Natalie for making me think about this more deeply and including me in your series!

See the full interview here

(image drawn from Valentino's SS16 line)

No comments:

Post a Comment