9.12.2014

Style Inspiration #5: Wildly Refined + Pastels




"Wildly Refined" referring to the way things can be so raw, so flexible and unfinished, yet totally complete at the same time. I've been trying to bring more movement to my work, more gesture and less tight detail, using a limited palette of pastels. (Usually light blue and blush and the neutral tone of the paper.)

I see this aspect in all the things I love; that un-done quality of something that is perfect.
I mean, it's how I do my hair... so it makes sense that I would want it in my paintings as well, right?


Here is one of my better attempts from my sketchbook of pursuing this concept (which I really should stop painting in because that paper does not take water well at all).


I loved how this turned out and I really hope that I can do it again, perhaps using some digital coloring to bring things together more. Who knows. There is still so much to explore within my set of skills that I sometimes fear I will never emerge with that shining something that will build a whole portfolio. But maybe that is the wrong way to look at it?
Probably.

Sources: All images are recent pins on my Pinterest, except for the last one, which can also be viewed on my Tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment