9.26.2014

artists that influence me: Fashion & Figures



Rene Gruau
The classic, the glorious, Mr. Gruau.
His use of line and value totally rocked my world when I first discovered him.
Then I felt stupid for not knowing about him earlier.




The most recent artist added to my list.
In fact, I didn't even know exactly who she was until I looked at my pinterest and like twenty percent of my fashion illustration board was her stuff. 
Love her traditional painting approach to trending colors and compositions.


First of all, her gestural approach to illustrations. I can't even. 
Second,  the story of her career (that she elaborates on in her blog for all to see) is as astounding as it is witty. 
I definitely feel a lot better about myself when I read Garance / when I look at all she has done with her life. 

Bernadette Pascua
What can I say about Bernadette that isn't evident in her beyond beautiful work?
When I found her, I had difficulty breathing as I scrolled through her website. (We can still be friends right?)
Color: impeccable. Value patterns: soul food. Line work: I just died and went to heaven.


David Downton
Very gorgous and very fashion-y. He does these celebrity portraits coupled with interviews that are pretty awesome. Reading his interviews is how I found Gruau.

Alfonse Mucha
Mucha taught me how to draw lips, hair, hands and flowers.
He was the first to show me that a pretty woman can (and should) be the focal point. He also knew how to transform a woman into a goddess which, in my opinion, is a skill every artist should aspire to.

No comments:

Post a Comment