8.24.2015

inspired by: Bil Donovan


The best thing about social media, I think, is that it allows for a direct and immediate learning experience. In this case, being able to follow Bil Donovan on Instagram has enabled me to find recent work, interviews, events, and other snippets that make up his life as a fashion illustrator. 


Each illustrator (and probably each person pursuing a creative career) has experienced a totally different path from any other. I find it so fun to learn about them and speculate on our future in the creative world as my husband and I continue to work on our careers. 


Bil Donovan is the Artist in Residence at Dior and is on the board of the Society of Illustrators, in addition to freelancing for magazines and clients.  

One of my favorite aspects of his work is the fluidity of line, especially in the fine details and his ability to draw attention to the focal point without compromising the beauty of any secondary points. 

A recent interview found on The View Magazine website, an amazing corner of the web I plan to frequent often, revealed to me how crazy and long and fun his path was in becoming the illustrator he is today.

"Train Chronicles"
One of my favorite parts of the interview was when he defined his career in contrast to Fine Art, while also explaining one of the reasons he does what he does:

Illustration is different than Fine Arts. I believe the goal in Illustration is to entertain the viewer; it is a commercial entity, whereas Fine art (Ideally) is created to share a vision without regard to an audience. Both have merit and of course can overlap in certain instances, but illustration is more entertainment and I think a bit of me wants to entertain. I am moved by the grace and simplicity and complexity of line, a marvelous shape, thought and color, the thinking behind the drawing or illustration that is what entices me and I use and share that premise to hopefully entice the viewer.

When people find out my husband and I are both artists, many mistakenly believe our careers pursue the same goal. I loved how Mr. Donovan worded his explanation and glad to see that artists respect each (other even when outside of each other's circles).

I really appreciate the candidness and humility he displays across his social media. Taking the time to learn about artists and their professional life has really inspired me and given me vision and hope.

And also, so much eye candy for this girl. I mean...


2 comments:

  1. WOW..Thank you for that wonderful compliment and also for taking the time to read my statements about work and life. It's strange sometimes to speak about yourself in the 3rd person but as a student I was always curious about other artists and how they worked or who they were...how did they book models..schedule work time etc. I made a promise to myself that should I ever be in a position to share information I would do so from a perspective that was sincere and honest to hopefully inspire someone as I was inspired so many years ago. Cheers Bil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Donovan,
      Thank you for taking the time to write out a reply; it was completely unexpected but so so appreciated. You truly are remarkable; thank you for your efforts to help others and for all the wonderful things you create. My admiration just keeps growing! Hopefully we'll cross paths one day. :) Happy holidays, Evelyn

      Delete